Home
Directions
About our Parish
Contact Us
Parish History
Parish Artwork
School Alumni
Guestbook
 
     

Ask any graduate of St. John the Baptist School where the phrase "For God and Country" can be found, and that person will tell you: engraved over the front entrance to the school. While the slogan may not be original with St. John's, it nonetheless exemplifies the educational programs that took place inside those doors.

Whether one attended in the years prior to 1950, when the Sisters of Mercy staffed the school, or between 1950 and 1973, when sisters of the Congregation de Notre Dame staffed it, the learning atmosphere was the same-one where academic excellence was expected, where the Catholic faith was handed on lovingly, and where discipline was m~ntamed firmly but fairly.

Because virtually all of the students were children of parishioners, it was natural that church and school activities were inextricably entwined. The involvement of the students in Holy Thursday processions, May crownings, and living rosaries was a given, and sacramental preparations (for Eucharist and Confirmation) were integrated into classwork. Entire classes would be marched to the church to celebrate the sacrament of Penance-known in those days (and probably still by many graduates) as "going to Confession." On First Fridays, the entire school participated in Stations of the Cross and Benediction. Some graduates claim that to this day the smell of incense causes flashbacks! On Sunday mornings, students attended the "Children's Mass" in the basement chapel, where the homily (then called a sermon) would be geared to younger minds, and where all would respond in Latin with the parts usually said only by the altar servers.

Until the mid-1950s, the only place students could have recess was in Elizabeth Street, which ran beside the school. The street would be blocked off at both ends to keep traffic off the street during recess. Ultimately, the house directly behind the school was literally carried away to make room for a schoolyard, so the students could recreate in a safer environment. A line down the center of the yard was the boundary between the boys' play area and the girls' area.

A high proportion of graduates went on to area Catholic high schools~in many cases thanks to scholarships provided by the parish societies. Additionally, a good number of students were inspired by the example of the "good sisters" to serve God as priests and religious, or to become educators in public school settings. Finally, those who pursued secular careers frequently give much credit to the solid education they received at St. John's.

Back to the top of page

GRADUATION PHOTOS
(Click on a link or thumbnail to view a large photo of the graduation class)


Class of 1944

Class of 1945

Class of 1946

Class of 1947

Class of 1948

Class of 1949

Class of 1950

Class of 1951

Class of 1952

Class of 1953

Class of 1954

Class of 1956

Class of 1957

Class of 1958

Class of 1959

Class of 1960

Class of 1961

Class of 1962

Class of 1963

Class of 1964

Class of 1965

Class of 1968
 
Class of 1972

Back to the top of page

Copyright © 2002
St. John The Baptist Church
All Rights Reserved.
Home " About our Parish " Contact Us
Parish Artwork " Directions " Guestbook " Parish History " School Alumni